Suffolk Creek is located at 35° 03’ S 150° 34’ E. It is near to the small village of Tomerong, approximately 110 miles south of Sydney & 125 miles east of Canberra. Suffolk Creek is around 10.5 miles in length & is an estuarine tributary that flows through the Shoalhaven region into St Georges Basin that connects to the Tasman Sea.
Population: Population along Suffolk Creek unknown. In 2011,Tomerong had a population of 312.
How to get there:-
By Road: From Sydney, take Princes Highway southbound to Tomerong. From Canberra, take Kings Highway to Braidwood then take Nerriga Road. Continue on to Turpentine Road then turn onto Princes Highway to Tomerong.
There is no rail service to Tomerong.
The nearest international airports are Sydney International & Canberra International.
Time Zone: Australian Eastern Standard Time (GMT +10 hrs). Daylight saving time in summer + 1 hr.
Order of contents on this page: (Click on the links below)
The stream flows through the tall cedar forests which were the hunting grounds of the coastal Wandandian aboriginals, the original owners of the land. The Wandandians are a tribal group of the Yuin nation who held the territory south of the Shoalhaven River.
Europeans first explored this area in the 1820s but settlement did not begin until the 1850s. The first land sale was in April 1855 when Tomerong was founded. The name Tomerong is the aboriginal word for “tall timbers” reflecting the original nature of the landscape. The village flourished from the 1870s onwards with the growth of the timber industry.
The creek does not seem to have had an aboriginal name, but it was given its present name when Joseph Suffolk acquired the land through which it runs. He arrived soon after 1855 and was resident near the creek to which he gave his name by 1862. Joseph Suffolk was born in Newbury, England c.1815. He emigrated to New South Wales in 1836, where he married Ellen Ferguson c.1839. He died at Nowra in 1895 or 1905 (sources conflict on this date).
The Suffolk family became prominent farmers in this part of New South Wales and there are two roads in the vicinity named after the family: Suffolks Road to the west of Tomerong, and Suffolk Road to the southwest of the village. According to the US National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, there is also a farm named Suffolk about three miles west of Tomerong, just off Turpentine Road.
A grandson of Joseph Suffolk moved to northern New South Wales in the early 20th century, and he gave his name to Suffolk Park in that part of the State (See Suffolk Park, NSW page).
Suffolk Creek is in St Vincent County, on the coast of south eastern New South Wales. It borders the counties of Camden, Argyle, Murray & Dampier. St Vincent was one of the original nineteen counties of New South Wales as defined in 1826 by Sir Ralph Darling, the Governor of New South Wales. The county is named after Admiral of the Fleet John Jervis, Earl of St Vincent (1735-1823). As with all New South Wales counties, St Vincent has no official function other than for the purpose of land titles and geographic surveying.
The Local Government Area that covers Suffolk Creek & the town of Tomerong is the City of Shoalhaven. The name was given to the area in 1797 by explorer George Bass who named the mouth of the river “Shoals Haven” due to its shallowness at that point. (This was the river now known as the Crookhaven River, not to be confused with the Shoalhaven River a few miles away to the north of Comerong Island). The City of Shoalhaven's population in 2009 was 95,812.
After Sydney, Shoalhaven is the most popular tourist destination in New South Wales. The region has 109 beaches, with allegedly the whitest sand in the world. The area also boasts much pristine natural bushland.
Have you signed the Guestbook yet?