It should be noted that Century Village® is a registered trade mark, and reference to this place name has to be denoted accordingly.
The neighborhood of Suffolk at Century Village® is located at 25° 59’ 48” N 80° 19’ 53” W in Pembroke Pines, Florida.
Population:- Suffolk neighborhood, based on 14 condominium blocks, is estimated to be about 720. The population of Century Village® in 2020 was 9,359. The population of Pembroke Pines in 2020 was 171,178.
How to get there:-
By Road: Interstate Highway 75 runs north to south, just to the west of Pembroke Pines. Century Village® in Pembroke Pines is located just 1/3 mile east of Interstate Highway 75 on land between the two main highways of Pembroke Pines: Pines Boulevard in the north and Pembroke Road in the south. The Village can only be accessed from these highways. From the north, turn south at the intersection of Pines Boulevard with Southwest 136th Avenue, then at the intersection with Southwest 10th Street turn right (west) to the gated entrance of the Village. From the south, turn north at the intersection of Pembroke Road with Southwest 129th Avenue and follow this highway to the intersection with Southwest 10th Street where it is a left turn (west). At the end of Southwest 1oth Street a left turn (south) on to Southwest 137th Avenue enters Suffolk neighborhood.
No Rail service to Pembroke Pines. The nearest station is in Hollywood, Broward County. Hollywood Station is served by Tri-Rail and Amtrak. The station is located at 3001 Hollywood Boulevard, just west of Interstate Highway 95 and State Highway 9.
The nearest major airport is Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport which has international and domestic flights and is 10 miles from the centre of Pembroke Pines. Another major airport is Miami International Airport which has international and domestic flights and is 21 miles from Pembroke Pines. North Perry Airport is a public airport located in the City of Pembroke Pines. The airport is a general aviation airport devoted exclusively to private and business light-plane activity.
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5 hrs). Daylight saving time in summer + 1 hr.
Order of contents on this page: (Click on the links below)
The Century Village® concept and its founder H. Irwin Levy are covered on the Suffolk at Century Village®, Boca Raton, Florida page. The administrative arrangements are the same for each village, and these are also mentioned on that page. There are four Century Village® locations spread across South Florida: the original location, built in the early 1970s, in West Palm Beach; Deerfield Beach built in the mid-1970s; Boca Raton built in the early 1980s, and the newest community at Pembroke Pines, completed in 1998.
Century Village® at Pembroke Pines is located 6½ miles directly west of North Perry Airport and about 1/3 mile east of Interstate 75. The Village occupies most of the land between Pines Boulevard (north), Pembroke Road (south), South Flamingo Road (east) and Southwest 145th Avenue (west). The Flamingo Pines Square Shopping Center occupies part of the northeast corner, and the Pembroke Pines Public Works (the water treatment, sewage, recycling and waste disposal centre for the city) is set just outside the southwest corner of the community. A perimeter fence separates the Village community from these neighbouring facilities, and there is no direct access to them. Century Village® can only be accessed by the controlled entrances on Southwest 10th Street (see ‘How to get there’ above).
There are 11 neighborhoods at the Pembroke Pines site built around the manmade Flamingo Lakes: Buckingham, Cambridge, Falmouth, Garfield, Hawthorne, Ivanhoe, Kingsley, Lancaster, New Hampton, Plymouth and Suffolk. The 136 condominium blocks were built between 1984 and 1997 and contain 7,780 apartments. As with the other Century Villages®, the names follow an alphabetic sequence and seem to be mainly from locations in England, although of course towns and counties with these same names can be found all over the USA. Suffolk, Cambridge and Plymouth are the only names used by two different Century Villages®.
The Suffolk neighborhood is located in the southwest corner of Century Village® around the southern end of one of the Flamingo Lakes. It is bounded on two sides by the perimeter of the Village itself: Southwest 145th Avenue in the west, and Pembroke Road to the south. The eastern boundary of Suffolk is along Southwest 136th Avenue and the northern boundary runs through the middle of the lake and along the linking canal on its west side. The perimeter boundary fence is set away from the public highways, and also separates Suffolk at Century Village® from the Pembroke Pines Public Works in the southwest corner.
Suffolk comprises 14 condominium blocks built in 1995 and 1996 along Southwest 137th Avenue, Southwest 14th Street and Southwest 12th Street to the east of the lake; and Southwest 141st Avenue and Southwest 142nd Avenue to the west of the lake. The condominium blocks are known as “Suffolk A”, “Suffolk B”, etc. to “Suffolk O” (the letter ‘I’ is omitted).
The amenities in Century Village® include a clubhouse with theatre and ballroom, health spa, arts and crafts, music and other facilities. Outdoor activities include 23 swimming pools scattered throughout the community, tennis, fishing, sailing, and an 18-hole, par 71 championship golf course. The demographics at a Century Village® are recorded as a median age of 78 with a population that is 98% white, compared with a median age of 37 and 67% white in the rest of Pembroke Pines.
After the swampland had been drained in the early 1900s the land that is now Pembroke Pines became dairy farm pasture. In 1943 one of the pioneer dairy farmers, Henry D. Perry, turned over 640 acres to the US Navy for a training field during World War II (now North Perry Airport). After the war, retiring servicemen were attracted back to this area, and the first small settlement developed to the east of the airfield around an existing routeway called Pembroke Road that led to the City of Hollywood and the coast. It is thought that the road received its name from the Earl of Pembroke, an early landowner in this part of Broward County.
In 1950 the airfield was acquired by Broward County to become a civilian airport and in 1954 the two tiny subdivisions to its immediate east, where those servicing the airport lived, took the name Pembroke Pines, the latter part of its name derived from the number of pine trees in the area. In 1959 it was incorporated as the Village of Pembroke Pines, but this move was challenged by builders who were attracted to the property, so in 1960 the residents went a step further and became a city in order to prevent annexation by the surrounding administrations and possible adverse development by property speculators. This small city was less than a square mile and was between Southwest 72nd Avenue and the Florida Turnpike (I-95) to the east.
Since the City of Hollywood was to the east, Pembroke Pines could only expand west of the airfield. However, there was little development in this direction until 1980 when the land from Flamingo Road to US Highway 27 was incorporated into Pembroke Pines, doubling the size of the city. The city’s rapid population growth in the mid- to late-1990s was part of the effect of Hurricane Andrew in August 1992. This tore through the area south of Miami, and thousands of residents left their wrecked homes and moved north to new subdivisions that were being built in Pembroke Pines. The resulting boom ranked the City of Pembroke Pines third in a list of “Fastest Growing Cities” in the United States in 1999. The city’s population has grown from 65,452 in 1990 to 154,750 at the 2010 census, and Pembroke Pines has expanded from one square mile in 1960 to 34 square miles in 2013.
Skeletal remains of animal hunters, about 10,000 years old, have been found around Broward County, but evidence of the first consistent presence of native Americans in the area indicate that they arrived about 4,000 years ago. However, their existence was transitory and they did not have permanent settlements. At a later period the Tequesta tribe lived by the coast but by the mid-18th century they had disappeared. The Seminole people replaced them and occupied small mounds jutting above the swamplands, but again their settlements were largely transitory in nature. The present county basically remained swampland and unsettled.
The first European settler was William Cooley in 1831 at the New River, where Fort Lauderdale is now located. In 1836 his wife and three children were killed by the Seminoles and with the continuing Seminole Wars, all European settlement was abandoned. In 1838 Major William Lauderdale established Fort Lauderdale at the forks of the New River as a base against the Seminole native tribes. With the end of the war in 1842 the fort was decommissioned. European settlement only recommenced in 1868 when pig farmer John Brown settled on the New River with his family.
Until the railroad came to southeast Florida in 1896, the area had limited accessibility since there were no deepwater port facilities. The only habitable spots were along the coastal ridge and some coastal communities sprang up. Dania became the area’s first incorporated community in 1904, followed by Pompano in 1908 and Fort Lauderdale in 1911. All three pre-date Broward County itself. Much of the present county remained swampland, “unfit for human habitation” until the Everglades were drained in the early 1900s.
Broward County was created in 1915 from equal portions of land ceded by Palm Beach County and Dade County. It was originally intended to be named Everglades County, but it was named after Napoleon Bonaparte Broward, Governor of Florida from 1905 to 1909. This was in gratitude for his support for the drainage of the Everglades when he was governor. This opened up the county for development, first as agricultural land and, later, as residential. The massive post-World War II build-up of the South Florida region transformed the county. With its sub-tropical climate, Broward County continues to attract new residents and visitors, and the economy is presently based on tourism, retailing, construction, and light industry. In less than a century, a land “unfit for human habitation” has been turned into the permanent home for a population of 1,748,066 (2010), making it the second most populated county in Florida. Its county seat is Fort Lauderdale.
Please don't forget to sign the Guestbook