The neighborhood (subdivision) of Suffolk Place is located at 32° 01’ N 102° 10’ W in the City of Midland, Texas.
Population:- The population of Suffolk Place in 2019 was 247. The population of the City of Midland was 138,549 in 2019.
How to get there:-
By Road: From Dallas, Fort Worth & the east, take Interstate Highway 20 westbound to Midland. Take exit 144 onto Frontage Road/E Front Street. Turn right into E Wall Street, then right again into N A Street. Turn left onto West Golf Course Road, until you reach Sparks Street on your right.
From the west, head east on Interstate Highway 20 to Midland. Take exit 134 onto S Midkiff Road, then right onto West Golf Course Road. Lanham Street is on your left.
From Lubbock & the north, take US Highway 87 southbound. At Lamesa, take State Highway 137, then turn onto US Highway 349, which becomes Big Spring Street when you reach Midland. Continue south & turn right into W Scharbauer Drive, then right again into West Golf Course Road.
By Rail: No rail service to Midland.
The nearest international airport is Midland International Airport located 9 miles (15 km) southwest of the central business district of Midland.
Time Zone: Central Standard Time (GMT -6 hrs). Daylight saving time in summer + 1 hr.
Order of contents on this page: (Click on the links below)
Location & Environs
Suffolk Place is an official neighborhood of the City of Midland. A “neighborhood” is equivalent to a “subdivision” in other American cities. For our non-American readers it should be explained that “subdivisions” or “neighborhoods” are administrative entities where a county or urban area has been divided in order that the subdivision can be developed separately for housing.
During the boom period after World War II (see City of Midland below), there was a rapid expansion in urban development in all directions. The city’s growth was on the grid-iron pattern normal for North American cities with a number of blocks forming a “neighborhood”. Suffolk Place was built in 1957 to the northwest of the city centre. It comprises 68 households in an area of 0.06 square miles, having a population of 186 in 2010. There are eight thoroughfares, including the boundary streets of West Humble Avenue (north), Sparks Street (east), West Golf Course Road (south) and Lanham Street (west). The neighborhood has Shell Avenue, Sinclair Avenue and Boyd Avenue crossing from west to east, and Mogford Street crossing from north to south. In the northeast corner is Fasken Park.
It is not recorded why the developer chose the name, but the only three neighborhoods that have English county names are to be found together since the neighborhoods of Berkshire and Warwick lie further to the east of Suffolk Place.
Midland is a city and the county seat of Midland County, Texas, on the southern edge of the High Plains of the state’s western area lying at an elevation of 2,779 feet.
Midland was established in June 1881 as Midway Station on the Texas and Pacific Railroad. It was given this name because of its central location between Fort Worth and El Paso. However, because there were already other towns in Texas by the name of Midway, the settlement changed its name to Midland in January 1884 when it was granted its first Post Office. Ranchers moved into the area from 1882 and Midland became primarily a railroad town serving the surrounding ranching community and one of the most important cattle shipping centres in the state. Midland became the county seat of Midland County in March 1885 when that county was first organised and separated from Tom Green County. The city was first incorporated in 1906.
Extended droughts and a depressed agricultural economy caused hundreds of residents to leave the city in the late 1910s, and by 1920 the population was only 1,795. However, on 27 May 1923, the future of Midland would change with the discovery of oil in the Permian Basin just 70 miles to the southeast. Soon, Midland was transformed into the administrative centre of the West Texas oil fields. During the Second World War the Army Air Force established the largest bombardier training base in the world at Midland.
A second boom period began after the Second World War, with the discovery and development of the Spraberry Trend field, still ranked as the third-largest oil field in the United States by total reserves. As oil and gas production in the Permian Basin rapidly expanded between 1945 and 1960, Midland developed from a small country town into a city with a skyline that could be seen thirty miles away, known as “The Tall City of the Plains”, as oil companies built high-rise buildings there. By 1950, 215 oil companies had offices in Midland, and the city’s population had increased to 21,713; by 1960 the population was 62,625. There was a slump between 1960 and 1970 as the oil companies struggled against foreign competition. Yet another boom period occurred during the 1970s, with the high oil prices associated with the oil and energy crises of that decade. Today, the Permian Basin produces one fifth of the nation’s total petroleum and natural gas output.
The City of Midland is renowned for being the home at one time of both the US Presidents, George Bush. The elder George Bush moved his family to West Texas and entered the oil business, becoming a millionaire by the age of 40. He lived in Midland from 1950 until 1959, when he moved to Houston. George W. Bush went to school in Midland and his wife, Laura Welch Bush, was born in Midland. In 1977 George W. Bush and Laura Welch were married. They made their home in Midland until 1986.
In March 1885, when 300 people were living in the area, the Texas state legislature created Midland County from Tom Green County. Midland County extends across 939 square miles of flat land with elevations ranging from 2,550 to 2,900 feet above sea level. There are no rivers or any other permanent surface waters in the county. Most of the county’s population (81%) lives in the City of Midland.
Long before settlers entered what is now Midland County, the region was crossed by a number of early Indian trails particularly the Great Comanche War Trail. In the 1870s buffalo hunters decimated the great herds occupying the region, forcing Indian migration that left the territory open for settlement by white men. The last recorded incident of conflict with the Indians in what is now Midland County occurred in 1879. Twenty-five comanches led by Chief Black Horse were given permission to hunt buffalo. Finding none they resorted to stealing and eating horses from local ranches. They were attacked by Texas Rangers, who surprised them while they were eating one of the stolen horses within the limits of today’s county. By 1890 twenty-nine ranches had been established in the county.
In 1953 archaeologists discovered fossilised human remains in the county. The remains were tentatively determined to belong to the Folsom culture of the late Pleistocene age, when the area had a cool, humid climate. Fossil evidence of extinct species of horse, antelope, peccary, wolf, mammoth, and sloth were also found at the site.
Please don't forget to sign the Guestbook